Vaccines for Children - HAN
Please refer to the COVID-19 tab of the HAN page (above) for up-to-date information regarding COVID-19.
If you wish to become a COVID- 19 provider click here.
Welcome to the Chicago VFC Health Alert Network (HAN) page!
This is your one-stop-shop for information, resources,
VFC policies, and frequently-requested paperwork.
Stay up to date: How to register for the HAN
VFC Eligibility Basics
Children 18 years old and younger are eligible for VFC vaccine if they are one or more of the following:
American Indian or Alaska Native
Underinsured (i.e. health insurance doesn't cover immunization) - only at FQHC's and CDPH's walk-in clinics
How to use MEDI to determine VFC eligibility
VFC Program Annual Re-Enrollment
Know another provider interested in the VFC program?
Share this VFC recruitment flier with them!
Wanting to complete your annual re-enrollment requirement?
- For additional guidance on updating your yearly staff training please click here.
- For additional guidance on updating your VFC appliances and data logger certification please click here (Attach VFC Appliance instructions)
- At the beginning of each year, VFC providers need to re-enroll.
- For Step by step guidance on how to complete the 2023 Re-enrollment please follow the PDF guidance attached here.
Looking to register for the annual required VFC Regional Meetings?
- The Chicago VFC Regional Meeting webinars will be available in a virtual webinar format this year in June.
- More detail is forthcoming. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHIP Vaccine Information
VFC Guidance for the CHIP Program
The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provides health coverage to eligible children, through both Medicaid and separate CHIP programs. CHIP is administered by states, according to federal requirements. The program is funded jointly by states and the federal government.
The Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) serves uninsured children up to age 19 in families with incomes too high to qualify them for Medicaid. States have broad discretion in setting their income eligibility standards, and eligibility varies across states.
For more detailed information please click here.
VFC News Bulletins
The VFC News Bulletin is a monthly bulletin that provides healthcare providers with most current information regarding the Chicago Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program.
VFC News Bulletins
Explore current and past versions of the VFC News Bulletins here.
Documents and Media
Digital Data Loggers (DDL'S) And VTMC Cloud
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, demand for DDL's has soared while supply has remained limited. CDC understands this and is extending temporary flexibilities to providers who need assistance until supplies increase. Check this document for detail on what to do if your DDL has passed its recalibration date or isn't functioning properly.
- DDL FAQ
- Downloading Control Solutions Software Guide
- DDL Setup and Configuration Guide
- VFC 400 Operations
- LogTag Settings
Daily Temperature Logs
- Fahrenheit: Refrigerator / Freezer
- Celsius: Refrigerator / Freezer
Control Solutions Cloud Portal - resources here! (password: “chicagovfc”)
I-CARE How-To Guides
I-CARE is Illinois' immunization registry - please input vaccinations for all your patients, not just those in the VFC program!
VFC Tools And Policies
Vaccine Management Tools
Temperature Excursion Protocol
(consider printing and posting on your fridge or freezer)
- Expiring Vaccine and Vaccine Return Protocol
- Reporting COVID-19 Wastage in I-CARE
Vaccine Management Policies
- How to talk about COVID-19 vaccines with parents (CDC)
- Johnson&Johnson/Janssen vaccine (ages 18+)
- Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine (ages 16+)
- Moderna vaccine (ages 18+)
How to report a communicable disease in your clinic (reporting flyer)
Day-To-Day Provider References
Interacting with Parents
CDC Provider Resources for Vaccine Conversations with Parents
6 Reasons to Get the HPV Vaccine for Your Child (infographic)
5 Reasons Why the HPV Vaccination is Recommended for Pre-Teens Flyer (infographic)
For Your Clinic
Vaccine Information Statements (VIS's)
Free behavioral health assistance: Illinois Doc Assist
Infographic: Screening Won’t Protect Your Patients from Most HPV Cancers
More information on measles can be found here
Data Quality Reviews and Onboarding
If you are new provider to our VFC program, you can start the HL7 Onboarding Process by clicking HERE and welcome aboard!
VFC Vaccine Manager: Kevin Hansen
VFC Management Unit Phone: 312-746-5385
Upcoming EventsView All
06/16/2023 at 9:00 am - 1:30 pm cst
Illinois Vaccinates Against COVID-19 (I-VAC) Vaccine Bootcamp - June 16, 2023
IN PERSON BootcampSIGN UP >
09/21/2023 at 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm cst
Lead Poisoning Prevention for Children Webinar - Sept. 21, 2023
WebinarSIGN UP >
06/22/2023 at 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm cst
Lead Poisoning Prevention for Children Webinar - June 22, 2023
WebinarSIGN UP >